There is really no better substitute for learning Latin declensions and conjugations than copying the forms over and over. Learning hard things can be tedious work! Anything that is tedious, I believe, needs to be jazzed up a bit with some fun colored pens, and it can become a game.
This year I'm helping my Foundations/Essentials kids prepare for learning Latin in Challenge by learning to decline nouns. At the same time, my Challenge B daughter is creating a resource for translating by declining and conjugating her vocabulary—nouns, adjectives, and verbs—into her personal Latin dictionary. She's realizing as she copies the forms over and over and the meanings over and over, that she's building muscle memory. It's starting to stick!
Making A Personal Latin Dictionary
Here's what you need to make your own Latin dictionary like ours:
- Printables for building the dictionary - download them here for free!
- Card stock - for printing the cover and divider pages (there's a choice between full color and black and white)
- Laminating machine - (if you don't have one of these, one of your friends does...borrow it or go to an office supply store to get your cover laminated.) OR you could totally cut up a cardboard cereal box and make a funky Latin dictionary cover...bottom line, you need something sturdy for the cover and back.
- Arc Hole Punch - This is my latest fun tool. This allows you to "spiral" your dictionary while still allowing the pages to be rearranged. I LOVE it. But you could totally use a small three ring binder and regular hole punch.
- Arc Notebook Rings - to put it all together!
Building Your Latin Dictionary
Print the page for whichever part of speech you're working on, cut it in half and get going declining or conjugating!
Here are some videos demonstrating each declension:
1st Declension Nouns:
2nd Declension Nouns:
3rd Declension Nouns (Masculine or Feminine and i-Stems)
3rd Declension Neuter Nouns
4th Declension Nouns
5th Declension Nouns
1st and 2nd Declension Adjectives
3rd Declension Adjectives
Don't Be Afraid of Verbs!
1st Conjugation Verbs - Present Tense
1st Conjugation Verbs - Imperfect Tense
1st Conjugation Verbs - Future Tense
2nd Conjugation Verbs
3rd Conjugation Verbs - Present Tense
3rd Conjugation Verbs - Imperfect Tense
3rd Conjugation Verbs - Future Tense
4th Conjugation Verbs
The Perfect Tense for All Conjugations
It can be intimidating to start filling out your Latin dictionary, but once you get going, it's kind of addicting!
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.