A good teacher can extend the learning beyond the textbook, beyond the one-hour time segment, and beyond the official school day. Games have always been my secret weapon for keeping the learning going. Math is a subject that often gets a bad wrap for being boring, tedious or a drudgery. With a few simple math games added to our day, the learning continues and no one complains!
With so many wonderful games and resources out there, I thought I would round some up to get you started on encouraging a love of math in your home!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy for more information.
Math Games by Crystal Wagner
Crystal Wagner over at Triumphant Learning is a math game genius! She has so many wonderful ideas and printables that you'll have activities for days.
- 10 Favorite Math Games - I've never heard of Muggins, but it's on my wishlist now.
- Practice Math Facts in 5 Minutes a Day - I love anything that only takes 5 minutes
- Math Games to Play in the Car - Captive audience...a great time to sneak in some math.
- Domino Stair Step Pattern - This could keep my youngest busy for a while. I love dominos!
- And if that wasn't enough to get your math games juices flowing, how about Over 125 Math Games Suggestions!
Tasty Math Games
Karyn over at Teach Beside Me speaks my language! Wanna make math sweeter? Just add a fun snack! Here are just some of her tasty math ideas:
- Hershey Fractions Printable Matching Cards - Chocolate math. Yes!
- Skittles Math - Taste the rainbow as you sort, compare, add, and divide skittles.
- M&M Math - More chocolate math. This printable is adorable!
- Spill the Beans Math Game - Okay, so you wouldn't want to eat these beans, but you could easily swap out for jelly beans and be the hero of the afternoon!
- Safe Cracker Printable - Again, not that kind of cracker, but it would be fun to eat crackers while you were cracking this math puzzle!
- Popsicle Stick Math Games - No popsicles necessary to play the game, but you could totally eat one while you played.
Queen of the Board Games
Ticia over at Adventures in Mommydom is the Queen of math board games. You know how you see all of those amazing-looking games at the teacher supply store and wonder how well they really play? Tricia has played and reviewed some of her favorites. My favorite line at the end of one post is: "PS: I was not paid for this, I did not get a free copy, I bought it and loved it, so that tells you how much I like it." Absolutely!
- THE Math Game for the Whole Family - Math Gym review
- Bank It - Coin counting game
- Sumology - or Scrabble for Math
- The Allowance Game - Real life homeschooling
- Totally Tut - a quick math facts game
- 5 Crowns Card Game - Strategy game
- Math Games for School - A wonderful roundup of all of her favorite games in one place!
Jennifer over at Mama Jenn has so many wonderful math printables that any mama would love. Here are some of my favorites:
- Circle Subtraction Math Game - I can't wait to try this one!
- Making it Whole - FREE Fractions Game
- Roll Hundreds and Thousands - Free Printable Place Value Games
- Grid Multiplication
- Guess the Coins
- Off the Grid - You have got to see the magnetic puff balls...I want to play this game!
Extra Math Games...to Top off the Math Madness!
As if you didn't already have enough math fun to keep you busy for weeks, here are some other great math ideas you don't want to miss:
- 6 Amazing Math Games from My Little Poppies
- Fun Ways to Overlearn Math from Susan's Homeschool Blog
- Free Printable Prime Factorization Triangles Math Games from Sprouting Tadpoles
- Adding Some Flash to Flashcard Review from The Unlikely Homeschool
- Math Games: 10 Great iPhone/iPad Apps from Math Four
What's your favorite way to foster a love of numbers in your home?
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.