Sunday Reflections: Love is in the Air
Life at the Strauss House...
With a wedding at the end of the week, we had to be really efficient at the beginning of the week. I say that, but life doesn't always happen that way. Sometimes you have to readjust priorities for that week and just get the major tasks done, and let the minor tasks slip away temporarily. One way we extended our learning this week was by attending a live performance of the Secret Garden. I had no idea it was a musical! It was a fascinating adaption of the book and our whole family loved it!
Another way we enjoyed learning in a unique fashion was watching the documentary Finding Noah. This documentary follows a group of men in search of Noah's Ark. It was fascinating to enter the world of these archeologists as well as the geographical and cultural locations in which they were searching. While our regular homeschool schedule might not have held the same elements as a typical week, it's good to let go of the structure every now and then to have spontaneous learning experiences.
This post may include affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
Where I'm reading in the Bible...
I paused in the Psalms this week because as life gets busy, I tend to lose sight of my need for God and I try to take over control. It never works. David is such an inspiration for worship and righting one's thinking:
20We wait in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
21 In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
22 May your unfailing love be with us, Lord,
even as we put our hope in you.
Psalm 33:20-22 (NIV)
What books we're reading...
- Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully
- Honor and Shame
- Bronze Bow
- The Odyssey
Family Read Alouds:
- "The Pit and the Pendulum" from The Gold Bug and Other Tales
- Born Again by Charles Colson
Steps towards a healthier lifestyle...
With all of my time spent sitting at a desk studying or at a computer keeping up with my blog, I've developed some neck/back pain. So I went to visit a chiropractor for the first time in my life! I'm working on sitting with proper posture, keeping my iPhone at eye-level to not put tension in my neck, and drinking more water! It always seems to come back to the water intake for me. He suggested that I need to drink at least half of my body weight in ounces of water per day to stay hydrated, but I need to add more if I exercise or sweat. That's a lot of water. Here we go!
Quick and easy meal of the week: Yummy Noodle Bowl
This week's highlights...
I had the opportunity to photograph Jason's cousin's wedding this weekend. Usually Jason goes with me to be my sidekick, but he was unavailable this time, so I took Grace. Last semester she took a photography class, and she's developed a great eye for photography, and she is just helpful overall. I was so proud of her! She worked some long hours with me, and she did it with a smile on her face the whole time!
Last year we went on a retreat to connect. Since we would be alone on this road trip, she counted it as our retreat this year. To keep it fun, we went shoe shopping on our way to the wedding, and on our way home, we stopped at Magnolia Market as seen in HGTV's Fixer Upper. We weren't the only ones there! It was packed, but it was fun to go see it and we enjoyed our time together.
As I look back over the week, ten things I can thank God for :
- Attending The Secret Garden musical at the Artisan Theater with friends
- A family that works together when life gets busy
- Weddings - they always make me thankful for my husband!
- Getting to see extended family and reconnect
- My sweet daughter who is growing into a beautiful young lady
- Buc-ees - for always offering a nice place to stop on road trips (clean bathrooms guaranteed!)
- Audio books for great drive time entertainment
- Foot stools - my husband made me a custom foot stool to help me with my posture...it is amazing when your feet don't dangle while sitting at the table!
- GPS - I love my iPhone and the directions it gives me. I used it a lot this weekend to navigate!
- The Austin hill country - when we turned the corner and beheld the beautiful rolling hills, my daughter exclaimed, "It's beautiful! Why don't we live here?!"
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
I'm linking up this week with Collage Friday and Weekly Wrap-Up!
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.
Thanks for linking up with Collage Friday! I marvel at how active your blog is — what fun for you! I love reading all of your posts!
You are so sweet! I love linking up with you! Hope you had a great time off with your family.