This post may include affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
Life at the Strauss House...
Classical Conversations started back this week for my girls! I have two Essentials students this year. My youngest was so proud to write her very first Essentials paper. I took no pictures of their first day, but thankfully my mother took pictures of their presentations, since I'm down the hall with their brother in Challenge I. We've been working on some art projects (read more below), and they were so proud of their finished products that they brought them to class for presentation. Precious!
Where I'm reading in the Bible...
Now I know this isn't the Bible, but we got a new book this week that is a big picture overview of the Bible for kids called The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden by Kevin DeYoung. We've read it twice all the way through and all of my kids LOVE it. I'm going to be giving one away this week on the blog, so stay tuned!
What books we're reading...
- Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully - a book I got for him after I heard the Benham brothers at the Teach Them Diligently Conference this year. They have an inspiring story, and both of their families are in Classical Conversations...so fun!
- Bronze Bow
- The Odyssey
Family Read Alouds:
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey - Finished....she's so hooked.
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma
- Crispin: The Cross of Lead - She's reading this one to me for school. I love hearing her read to me.
- When I asked her what she's read this week, she listed the above books, and then asked, "Does your blog count? and Mrs. Barker's blog?" Too cute!
Steps towards a healthier lifestyle...
It's amazing what a difference a meal plan can make. It only takes a little bit of time, but it makes such a huge difference for me in making good decisions later on in the week. A couple of items on our menu plan this week are:
I was at the library with a friend who was making her menu and had a cute little printable that she uses to plan her menus. I found this printable menu planer that looks similar and is so cute!
This week's highlights...
We made some HUGE messes this week as we played with Modge Podge, Gesso, and paint! We've been reviewing Flourish's Art of Fall Mixed Media workshop, and I can't wait to show you all that we've created. It is an amazing course, but you'll have to come back tomorrow to see the results of our artwork.
This art course is on sale now through September 30th for just $48 for 20 projects for kids 8 and up. It's incredible.
As I look back over the week, ten things I can thank God for :
- The gift of art. I have had so much fun creating, doodling, and slowing down as we paint together.
- Squeals of my daughters as they rip paper and play with modge podge.
- Music in my home - all of the beautiful musicians that are developing within my house.
- Study day at the library with Classical Conversations friends...I love our community.
- New music in the car - Nichole Nordeman's latest album The Unmaking - giveaway of this one ends soon!
- Books to read
- Writing a paper with my youngest, and seeing her face light up with delight as she read it back to me
- Cooking kids - it's nice to share the meal prep load
- My in-laws getting back from Africa safely
- My husband walking with me...it's like we're dating again!
I'm looking forward to cooler weather and fall colors, but I must be patient for the fall changes to come to Texas!
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
I'm excited to be linking up with Collage Friday!
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.