Last year was the first time I had an opportunity to dig into the wonderful world of Biology with my daughter from a tutor's standpoint. Dissections terrified me. Thankfully I had a friend that held my hand and Apologia curriculum to guide me. I learned so much! Next year, my other daughter will be diving into this fun realm of study, and I can't wait to work through the newest edition of Apologia Biology with her!
New Third Edition Updates
Just like the Apologia Physical Science book, this third edition of their Biology text has some excellent changes. With a new author, the information is current and reorganized. My daughter loved the graphic appeal of the book which utilizes a different color for headings and vocabulary. This makes the book really easy to read and track with.
Other changes include:
- Experiments which have been updated or replaced, and the addition of new experiments
- New illustrations and infographics that help students break down and visually digest difficult concepts, in addition to updated images and illustrations
- New content, including a new section on photosynthesis and a new section on diseases.
- An overhaul of the section on genetics, including more information on DNA
- Updated information on the Biological Classification System
So Many Beautiful Pictures
What really stood out about this new update is all of the beautiful pictures! Not only are the graphics really appealing, but the author has made a point to give visual representations of all of the creatures mentioned. This change thrilled my daughter.
Additionally, the dissection lab instructions are clearly laid out and easy to follow.
Biology Student Notebook
I am so impressed with the quality of the student notebooks. They include the same graphics from the book inserted in the section where students answer "On Your Own" questions. This provides such an excellent resource for review.
The notebook includes so many great features for keeping up with the work:
- Personal Notes - extra note taking pages provide plenty of space for taking notes from the module with the Cornell layout
- Study Guide Questions - these help students prepare for their exams.
- Lab Reports - Each experiment listed in the textbook has a lab report in the Student Notebook. Students are clearly instructed on what they are to see and do for each lab.
- Grade Report - a place to record all of the grades they receive which allows students to see their progress, understand where they need to improve, and be accountable for their studies.
Variety of Biology Experiments
The Apologia Biology Third Edition text includes new experiments for students to explore creation. While there are still plenty of opportunities for students to use microscopes, there are additional experiments that explore other biological curiosities. The experiments fall under three categories: microscope labs, dissection labs, and household labs.
Students also have the opportunity to conduct descriptive experiments that allow them to continue to grow in their qualitative observation skills using their five senses. These skills are integrated both in the microscope labs as well as in field studies of organisms in their natural habitats.
Learning to observe is such a vital skill to becoming a great scientist. I love that students are given so many opportunities for growth in this course of study.
Visit the Apologia Shop to Learn More
To learn more about the Apologia Biology course offerings, visit the Apologia shop. You can find out about all of the supplemental products that they offer as well as preview the book to get a deeper look before you buy.
Enter to Win
You can also enter to win either the Apologia Biology 3rd Edition advantage set or the Apologia Chemistry 3rd Edition advantage set. I own both of these and they are great tools for continuing science studies!