Life has been crazy at the Strauss house. After our trip to Boston, I was down for the count for the week after with illness. My how life piles up when mom isn't functioning! I actually was thankful for the opportunity to rest and the opportunity to get a little help from my kids with my blog. They are already such a big part of what I write, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving, my daughter wanted to write her 17 (because it's a cool number) reasons to be thankful for homeschooling. So here is Grace's (age 11) debut blog post:
17 Reasons to be Thankful for Homeschooling:
- I can be with my family all the time. At public school you'd be in different classes and so I am glad I get to be with my brother and sister a lot.
- I get to help pick what I learn. After mom's planned the basic subjects, she lets me help decide what I'd like to learn. This year I wanted to focus on Latin and Geography more.
- My mom is my teacher. My mom knows and understands me way better than someone you just meet and spend time with for just a year.
- If I have a problem, I can work it out right away with my teacher. I get one on one help from my mom during school, not just after school.
- I can be done with school when I finish my work. At public school, if I'm faster than everybody, I'd just have to sit there and wait. At home I get to move on after I finish.
- We can do things and learn things as a family. We read good books together and discuss scientists and artists. It makes things fun.
- Whenever I am sick, I can finish my work a different day and not like fail the class for missing a day.
- I get to stay at home to learn. I love my home. I'm a homebody, so I enjoy having school at my kitchen table and couch!
- I get to learn in unique ways. We don't always stay at home for school. Sometimes we go to gardens, or museums, or Niagara Falls to learn!
- Some days I do school in my pajamas. Who wouldn't be thankful for that?!
- Occasionally, I sleep in a bit later. I'm not a super early morning person. If I get started a little later, I get my school done quickly because my mind is ready to work.
- My school includes the comforts of home like a soft blanket and warm slippers. In the winter we do school by the fire, and in the spring, recess is in the pool.
- We have the freedom to travel in the middle of the school year.
- I love to play the piano, and I have more time to practice during the day once I've finished my other work.
- We get to be a part of a homeschool community that allows us to still have discussions about what we're learning with our friends.
- Being at home all day long, not only do we learn basic subjects, but we get to learn to cook and clean. I especially like helping my mom make dinner plans for the week and going grocery shopping with her.
- Our homeschool lets us talk about God during school. I don't think it's right to not be allowed to talk about God in school.
What are some reasons you are thankful for homeschooling?
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.