When we started making Latin videos for Latin with Andy in 2017, we had no idea what we were in for! We have learned so much on our journey, and we're excited to share a new branch of the Latin with Andy resources: Code Breakers.

Andy had the opportunity to work with some younger students and loved seeing how quickly they picked up on the concepts when they imagined they were breaking a code. In truth, they were, because that's what translating is: code breaking.

So we've come up with a way to share the basics of the Latin language in a fun and manageable way for our younger friends to get their feet wet without drowning in the abyss of Latin grammar.

Code Breakers Videos

The best part of this resource is that all of the videos are FREE to watch on YouTube, or you can find them all organized here!

LWA Code Breakers consists of five longer lesson videos, each followed by six shorter videos that break up the main ideas into small bites to practice. At the end of each video, students are rewarded with a little outtake clip that we had way too much fun making.

Along with these videos we've created Video Companion Guides (a free download) and Daily Practice Worksheets to purchase for $10, which will transform these videos into a more formal curriculum.

LWA Code Breakers Supplemental Materials

This 88 page resource includes worksheets that take students step-by-step through the concepts presented in the Lesson overview video. They break the work down into quick, easy steps to start building those Latin muscles without wearing them out.

In addition, extra helps are included which give teachers an overview of what is introduced in each lesson, as well as a lesson plan for completing the material in a year, a semester, or even a week, depending on the age of your student.

The final aspect of this resource includes a full color answer key for teachers who aren't familiar with Latin to help walk their students through the basics with success. It can be intimidating to lead someone else down a road you haven't walked before. Answer keys are a great tool to help you get where you want to go!

Who Could Benefit from Code Breakers?

4th - 6th Graders

We recommend that a student has had some formal English grammar study. So if you're in Classical Conversations, they could start Latin with Andy Code Breakers along with Essentials, or even better, after their first complete year of Essentials.

7th and Up

Anyone preparing for a more intense Latin course like Henle Latin could benefit from working through these videos. Think of it as an on-ramp where they can get up to speed without going from zero to sixty in a blink.

Parents

Parents who would like to know how the Latin memory work transfers to their student's future studies could get a grasp of the importance and value of really learning that well.

So what are you waiting for? Check out the videos and get excited about Code Breaking with Andy!

Purchase your Latin with Andy Code Breakers Supplemental Materials here:

$10

12 Comments

1. Kristen Petri on August 28, 2019 at 5:36 pm

I purchased the supplemental materials. We made flashcards after watching the Lesson 1, Day 1 video. We are not seeing where the gender of the vocabulary words is listed anywhere. Am I missing this?

• Betsy on August 28, 2019 at 9:55 pm

In this series, gender is introduced in the second lesson. It will come…just not right at the first.

2. Kim Bendis on November 10, 2019 at 10:31 pm

Hello… I purchased the flash cards in August when school began, but can’t locate the file and need to print out the Units II & III. Would you be able to re-send them or allow me to download them again without having to purchase them again? Thank you! Kim

• Betsy on November 13, 2019 at 8:47 am

Since you are a member, all you need to do is go to the Latin with Andy dashboard and log in (www.latinwithandy.com). Then go to the tab called Printables and scroll down. You should see the flashcards for Unit 2 and beyond there.

3. Heidi Pettis on November 18, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Hello! I’m a member and would like to use the latin vocab quizzes but can’t figure out how to access them. Are they free for being a member? Also, I’m looking for help with 3rd Declension Adjectives. Is that in the Henle Latin Year 1 section? Thank you! Heidi

• Betsy on November 20, 2019 at 9:10 am

Yes, the printables are all free! You can access them from the Printables tab. You should find some information about adjectives there as well.

4. Julie Kunes on April 29, 2020 at 1:40 pm

My son and I are LOVING Codebreakers. I am SO blessed by you, Andy. My son loves watching you and loves that there are cool guys out there who also love languages. He really identifies with you, Andy. Thank you so much for doing Codebreakers. Now, he’s about to finish. He will be starting CC Challenge A in the Fall. What should we do after Codebreakers? I thought it would take all Spring and Summer but he’s almost finished! Should I go ahead and get Henle, start our Latin with Andy membership, and get him started? We would love any advice you can give. Thanks again!

• Andy Strauss on April 29, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I’m so happy you are enjoying Codebreakers! It’s also good for me to hear that there are other cool guys out there who love languages like me ;). Sounds like he’s got a knack for it too – almost finished with Codebreakers! If he is interested and willing, it wouldn’t hurt to start Henle. You might even find it easy at first. Codebreakers introduces concepts from Henle lessons 1-10. However, if you can work with him through Henle lessons 1-3 over the summer, and get a strong foundation in nouns, he will repeat those lessons in Challenge A and no doubt feel very confident. From there on, he won’t have to worry about nouns, and can focus on new content he encounters. In essence, keep working to build a solid foundation! Learn some Henle vocab, and keep those noun endings fresh! Let me know if you have more questions. Keep up the good work, language lovers!

5. Lisa Muniz on April 30, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Betsy, my Challenge B class is doing so well with their Latin and now we are going into summer. Do you have a recommendation for staying in it through the summer? What would you tell parents to get their kids ready for the fast paced introduction as they come back for Challenge I ?
    Thank you so much. Latin with Andy has helped my own kids be more successful than my first that went through without it.

• Betsy on May 5, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I’m so glad it has helped! Learning Latin is like strengthening a muscle…if you don’t use it, you lose it. However, you’d be surprised at how much you do remember if you don’t look at it at all over the summer. I’m asking my daughter that’s heading into Challenge I next year to keep working on vocabulary and noun/verb endings. We might try quizlet for reviewing vocabulary to change things up a bit. We will probably try to start working on lessons 1-6 slowly through the summer since those are assigned for week 1! After working through them for two years though, they do seem pretty easy! If you’re not looking up endings and vocab though, you can really keep up with the review work pretty well through Challenge I. It always just gets harder when new concepts hit again! Blessings on your summer studies!

6. Marni Chediak on June 1, 2020 at 7:06 pm

I am so impressed with Code Breakers! Thank you! Is there a printable for flashcards for code breakers?

• Betsy on June 27, 2020 at 9:50 am

Thanks! We do have a supplemental materials download with vocabulary in it, but no flash cards right now. Sorry!