When I asked to see my husband's book list, he replied with some qualifiers:
- Books I've read?
- Books I've liked?
- Books I own?
- Books I want to read?
I answered, "All of the above!" My husband is an avid reader, or at least he desires to be, even if he doesn't have the time to be. Over the years he's found that continuing to read has been such an important avenue for him to continue refining his thinking.
So he complied a list, broken down into categories, of his recommended readings not limited to dads, but most beneficial to dads. I've included affiliate links below for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
My Husband's Reading List: (in no particular order)
Books on Culture - because a Dad should consider the current context in which his kids live
- Abolition of Man - by C.S. Lewis
- Fit Bodies, Fat Minds - by Os Guiness
- Amusing Ourselves to Death - by Neil Postman
- Foreign to Familiar - by Sarah Lanier
- Honor and Shame - by Ronald Muller
Fiction - because a Dad should nourish and widen his soul - be imaginative
- The Chosen - by Chaim Potok
- This Present Darkness - by Frank Peretti
- 100 Cupboards - by N.D. Wilson
- Pilgrim's Progress - by John Bunyan
- Hind's Feet in High Places by Hannah Hurnard
Devotionals - because a Dad should consistently commit his heart to the Lord
- My Utmost for His Highest - by Oswald Chambers
- Whiter than Snow - by Ted Tripp
- Humility - by Andrew Murray
Biographies - because a Dad should see good hearts to imitate
- Bruchko - by Bruce Olson
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer: In the Midst of Wickedness - Benge
- Watchman Nee - by Laurent
Theology - because a Dad should think deeply about spiritual things
- Living by the Book - by Howard Hendricks
- Systematic Theology - by Warren Gruden
- The Cross and Salvation - by Bruce Demarest
- Basic Bible Interpretation - by Zuck
- A Survey of Bible Doctrine - by Ryrie
Counseling - because a Dad should know how to shepherd
- Understanding People - by Larry Crabb
- How People Change - by Lane/Tripp
- Becoming a True Spiritual Community - by Larry Crabb
Parenting/Relationships - because a Dad should consider how to stir one another up to love and good deeds
- When People are Big and God is Small - by Ed Welch
- Sacred Marriage - by Gary Thomas
- Relationships: A Mess Worth Making - by Timothy Lane and Paul Tripp
- Margin - by Richard Swenson
Education - because a Dad should always be about leading their kids to the truth
- A Thomas Jefferson Education - by Oliver DeMille
- The Core - by Leigh Bortins
- Norms and Nobility - by David Hicks
History - because a Dad should understand a broader contextual scope for life
- Church History in Plain English - by Shelley
- A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada - by Noll
- The History of the Ancient World - by Bauer
Classics - because a Dad should nourish himself with the sustained truths embedded within the stories
- The Odyssey - by Homer
- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - by Solzhenitsyn
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch - by Jean Latham
Gift giving season is around the corner! Books make perfect gifts.