Sunday Reflections: Last Week of Summer
This post may include affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
Life at the Strauss House...
Countdown is on. Our Challenge classes start up on Tuesday, and therefore this week included orientations and teacher equipping fun. If you're going to homeschool, make sure you have a group of moms that are in the same boat. Just because you're home alone, doesn't mean that you have to be alone in the journey.
Where I'm reading in the Bible...
John 10:30 in Latin states: "Ego et Pater unum sumus." or "I and the Father are one." I love looking at the Latin roots of words like "unum". I knew the Spanish word for one was "uno", but I didn't realize how many English words stem from "un-" like: unity, unified, united, universe, union, and uniform (to name a few). I love the unity expressed by God the Father and Jesus, His Son. Jesus obtained this unity through humility not equality. May I imitate His pattern this week as we start back into our school rhythms.
What books we're reading...
Jason: When you read a bunch of books, you inevitably don't get very far in any of them! He's still making progress though and here's his reading list for the week:
- Practicing Affirmation: God-centered Praise of Those Who are not God
- Norms and Nobility
- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
- Honor and Shame
- The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis - listened to it again...because he loved it!
Betsy: I got hooked into a good book this week, and amazingly I found more time to read. Funny how that works.
- Captive - So I received this book to review, and I'll be giving one away soon on my blog, but it was captivating. It's about a young woman who is held hostage in her Atlanta apartment and how her transparency keeps her alive and diffuses an intense situation. Wow. Stay tuned for more. #FollowYourPurpose
- Tending the Heart of Virtue: How Classic Stories Awaken a Child's Moral Imagination - I just got started on this one, and it's so good! It speaks to my soul as a mother who wants to cultivate virtue in her children.
Will: He had pink eye this week....yuck. It really impaired his reading this week. While he wanted to read much more, he just finished up some reading from last week and waited for his eyes to heal.
- Thunder Snow by Sheila Hollinghead
Steps towards a healthier lifestyle...
I've tried to keep my steps going this week, but it's been tough. I like to get up and walk in the morning, but when I have places to be early, it's hard to get everything done in time. What ends up happening is I have a long walk at night to make up the steps. I'm telling you - if I didn't get moving I'd be at about 1,500 steps a day - no joke!
When I have a long walk night, I try to get my kids to go with me. They make great trainers.
This week's highlights...
My aunt and uncle came from California to spend the week with us. Well, my uncle actually came for a conference which just happened to be at DFW airport which is just about in my backyard, so they came for that, but I'm just claiming they came for us. Tuesday was my mom's birthday and I loved seeing her with her with her little sister.
So my sweet mom always gives up her room for company, and her sweetness was trumped by my aunt and uncle that decided to update the 36 year-old faucets in her bathroom while they occupied her room. Amazing.
My mom is one of seven, so I grew up with a huge extended family which was shocking to my husband as his extended family is smaller. All of them live in Texas except the California sister, so they made sure to all get together while she was here. Family is precious.
As I look back over the week, ten things I can thank God for :
- Today is my in-laws 40th Anniversary. They are a wonderful example of enduring love and service to one another.
- My mom's health. I love celebrating her birthday and knowing that her life is a miracle. She's in her 10th year of being cancer free. Wow!
- My uncle, in his evening down time from his conference, also helped my husband reset the toilet at our rent house. It was an amazing help!
- That he uses imperfect people to bless others. I don't have to be perfect...good thing, because it's impossible.
- Books and a hunger for learning.
- Language and words to express ideas with.
- A mind to think with - being able to entertain ideas without accepting them (Aristotle).
- Discussing God's Word with believers - anywhere...anytime
- Miraculous healing - a friend has been visiting her friend's son for over a month as he's recovering from heart surgery. He was in poor condition last week, and now his health has so improved, he's going home. Praise God!
- The cool of the morning - it is a lovely time to walk in Texas in August.
I've been thinking about captivity and freedom this week. I am so thankful for being set free.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
Betsy Strauss is an unexpected homeschooler, mother of three, who is in a relationship with a sweet man for life. She loves reading books, drinking coffee, and learning anything with her kids.
Leave a Comment